- This event has passed.
‘Culture in Action’ at Hampton Park
August 6, 2022 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
They heard the pleas of Althea Simmons, Jerome Smalls, and Eugene Jenkins in 1981.; a desire to provide a sense of identity and purpose for the families of Robert Mills Manor. The couple, Osei and Sadeeka Chandler, along with a committed friend, Cito Lindsay accepted the challenge. They introduced a group of 12-year-old boys to soccer and the 7 African principles to live by. Charleston, S.C. evoked the spirit of “Harambee( “All Pull together”) to ensure the success of the “Originals”.
40 years later, this 501c3 non-profit organization, sustained by a rainbow of volunteers, is still transforming lives through the international sport of soccer. Success on and off the field.
Saturday, August 6th, from 1 to 4, join us for a Spark in Hampton Park, while experiencing “Culture in Action”.
Bring your lawn chairs and funds to donate to youth development, a great investment.
On hand at the event
- a food truck
- Silent Auction of matted and framed Lil’ Peles ‘ treasures
- Kona Ice
- Authentic dyed sweetgrass baskets by Gullah Story teller, Vera Manigault
- Commemorative Posters for sale signed by the designer, Jamir Bass
- Photos and interviews for the 40th documentary
- Entertainment by Gullah Geechee Gospel Singer, Nancy White
- Story of the 1st Black Soccer Club thru the eyes of a founder, Osei Chandler and current president of 21 years, Vince Ashby, along with a ‘Table of Conversation “ with The Originals
- Homage to Club members celebrating from above
- Learn the Cheers and Chants created by alumni/coaches
- Take a trip to West Africa with the renowned” Wona Womalan” drum and dance ensemble
- Fun Relays for Everyone ( Plan to get wet) and earn bragging rights
- Rock with DJ Robbie all day !!
This project was funded in part by the City of Charleston Office of Cultural Affairs and the City of North Charleston Cultural Arts Program through their joint administration of the Lowcountry Quarterly Arts Grant Program and the South Carolina Arts Commission which receives support from the National Endowment for the Arts and the John and Susan Bennett Memorial Arts Fund of the Coastal Community Foundation of SC.
Follow us always at:
LinkedIn—-ebony city soccer
Lil’ Peles”, Fair Play Together, Undeniable Champions Forever”